Northdene Preparatory School (originally Northdene Primary School) opened for the first time on 21 January 1952 in the Northdene Hall. There were 19 learners and 2 educators. In June 1955, pre-fabricated buildings were erected on the site of the present school buildings – at one stage the site of a farm. By November 1960, permanent buildings were completed – designed to accommodate a high school. It was, however, decided that Northdene Primary School would occupy the buildings instead.
The first playing field was developed in 1962 and the second, 10 years later.
By 1972, the school had grown in number to 349 learners.
An open-air theatre was constructed in 1976, a swimming pool (completely financed by the school) in 1977 and the school hall was opened 5 years later.
A Foundation Phase Reading Centre was established in 1983, and a Computer Centre in 1984. Computer Studies is now an integral part of the school curriculum.
1999 The Grade 3 wing was completed adding another three classrooms to the existing building.
2007 Six of our prefabs were demolished and the school along with a private sponsor built five new classrooms and a state of the art Media Centre, Audio Visual Room and Computer Room. Nandi House, our Grade R and Aftercare facility was also built. Nandi House has three classrooms, a hall, a kitchen, office, reception area and ablution facilities.
In 2012 the school renovated the existing 20m x 12m pool to 25m x 13m and a year later added heating to the pool.
In 2015 the school built a further 7 classrooms, stockrooms, new ablution facilities and a brand new hall to seat 900 learners.
At the beginning of 2018 our new astro turf multipurpose sport field was completed. By mid 2019 new concrete stands were erected on the Mahogany Field complete with shade awnings to provide seating for learners during snack time and sport.